How To Use Gamecube Controllers On Steam?
If you’re searching for instructions on how to utilize the GameCube controller with Steam, this page can help you out. In 2021, the famous online video game system Gamecube was launched. Even though it was published earlier, the most recent version is the ‘HD’ version, which supports higher resolutions and offers improved audio and visuals.
Do you know that nearly every game that supports Xbox 360 Controller can be played with a Gamecube Controller?
We made it simple for you by creating a tutorial on how to utilize the GameCube Controller on Steam.
To begin, double-check that you have a USB GameCube Controller Adapter. (If you don’t have it, don’t worry; you can buy it here GameCube Controller Adapter)
This Gaming Guide is not just for Official GameCube Adapters, but also for various unauthorized adapters that support WUP-028 (e.g., Mayflash).
To utilize the GameCube Controller on Steam, carefully follow these instructions:
Step 1: Get the Wii U GCN USB Driver/VJoy Device Driver and install it.
To begin, go to Massive’s GameCube Controller Adapter Blog (Link) and get the newest Wii U GCN USB Driver for your system.
Following these steps, you may correctly install the driver after downloading it:
- Click “Open” after left-clicking on Setup Files.
- “Next” should be selected.
- Select an Installation Folder.
- Select a Preference for Shortcuts
- If you wish to create a desktop shortcut, check the option (but it isn’t mandatory). Thus, unchecking the folder is advised.
- After completing these steps, you should be able to see the “Install” button in the Installation Prompt instead of the “Next” button, and click “Install.”
- Now, as indicated in the picture below, the program will go through a short installation process and appear on the screen.
- (At this stage, make sure you have “WUP-028” instead of “GAMING MOUSE G402” chosen in the selection box.)
- Click the “Replace Driver” button after selecting “WUP-028” from the Drop Down Box.
- Following the steps, you should get the following message quickly.
- After closing the window, the vJoy Device Driver Installation Prompt will display on your screen. Click the “Next” button.
- Check all of the boxes in the following step and then click “Next.”
- Then choose “Install” from the drop-down menu.
- A Window Security Prompt may appear from time to time. If this is the case, click the “Install” button once again.
- After that, you’ll receive another question indicating that the installation was successful.
Note: The error message may appear after installation. Don’t be concerned; the message has no bearing on the functionality.
Step 1 has now been completed. This step was completed to verify that the GameCube Controller was detected by your computer/PC.
To utilize the GameCube Controller on Dolphin, follow the same procedures.
Additional Procedures (Recommended)
After you’ve completed step 1, it’s a good idea to go on to Step 2.
- Use this link to download and install the most recent Microsoft.NET framework: To learn more, go to this page.
- Restart your PC after installation to ensure that the system detects the software.
Step 2: Download and install X360ce
- Using the X360ce GameCube Configuration, we’ll get your adapter and controllers recognized as Xbox 360 Gamepads in this phase.
- It uses Steam to download them and add them to its library of 360+ compatible games.
- To begin, go to the X360ce website through this x360ce webpage.
- On the top of the pages, there are two distinct download links. The first is for 32-bit games, while the second is for 64-bit games. Both of them should be downloaded and saved in their respective folders.
- Then, for each version, unzip both of them into a separate folder.
- The x32 version’s unzipped version may be found below.
- Both versions should be installed separately after unzipping. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions follow the same procedure. To demonstrate how to install x360ce on your PC, we used a 32-bit version.
- Now, When you click on the 32-Bit Setup files, you’ll get the warning below.
- When you click the “Create” button, the required file will be generated automatically, and the warning will be closed.
- Once you’ve done that, you’ll see the window below. This indicates that the software has recognized your “vJoy Device” (i.e., Gamecube Adapter Controller) as requiring configuration.
- Check the box labeled “Search the internet” as indicated in the figure, and then click “Next.”
- Following that, it will search the Internet for the required x360ce Controller Driver.
- Then you’ll see the window below; click “Finish.”
Note: If you click Finish, another “New Device Detected” box may appear. You shouldn’t be concerned; this is occurring to every one of your adapter ports. Simply click “Next” and “Finish” many times (typically 4) until the process is complete.
After you’ve completed these steps, you’ll have the window shown in the figure.
Each controller should have four green squares adjacent to it. That’s your adapter being picked up by x30ce. If you don’t see any green squares, try restarting the game.
Step 3: Enable Gamecube Driver / Set-Up X360ce
- Open Wii U GCN Adapter while keeping the x360ce window open. To do so, hold down the Window Key and enter “GCN,” and the Wii U USB GCN Adapter will appear in the search results, as seen below:
- When you first start the software, you’ll see the window displayed below. Start by pressing the “Start” button.
- On-Screen, the message below (or a similar success notice) will display.
- To return to the x360ce Window Screen, press Alt + Tab. You may also do it using Mouse.
- When you connect your controller into port 1 and choose the “controller 1” tab, the Xbox 360 controller buttons on your screen will now react when you push the GameCube pad and analog stick!
- Superb! Finally, we’ll need to adjust the sensitivity of several of the analog sticks.
- Change the Anti-Dead Zone parameters to 80 percent and the Dead Zone settings to 30 percent for each of the controllers (1-4) under the “Left thumb” panel.
- This is done to guarantee that your analog stick works the same way it does on the Wii U/Nintendo Switch.
- Step 3 is now complete.
Note: If you’re using the x64 version, make sure you follow the same steps.
Step 4: Copy Necessary Files To Steam Game Folder
- You’re almost finished learning how to utilize the GameCube Controller on Steam. Copying the x360ce files into the game folder is the last step in using the GameCube controller on Steam.
- After completing Step 3, go to the x360ce folder (32-bit or 64-bit) and look for three files similar to the ones shown below:
- These files should now be copied to the game’s root stream folder.
- “Local Disk (C:) – > Program Files (x86) – > Steam -> Steam applications – > Common – > “Game Name” is the most common location for the game’s root folder.
- It is not required that both directories be identical. You may browse through your files or use the Windows key to search for your game’s root folder, and We hope you locate it.
We’ll use Super Meat Boy as an example.
- Super Meat Boy is a well-known 32-Bit game.
- The three 32-bit x360ce files must be copied and pasted into the Super Meat Boy root folder, which should now look like this.
- (This is the game in which the “Xbox 360” controller is recognized.)
- That’s it.
- After completing Step 4, launch the game through Steam, and you should now have a functioning GCN controller for PC games.
Do you know the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit games?
You may learn more about the Games by searching on Google.
If you’re not sure if a game is 32-bit or 64-bit, run the x360ce.exe file after you’ve placed the three files in the game folder.
If the bit-type is incorrect, you should get a warning notice and update the three files with the correct bit type.
As an example, here’s how we tried to install the 64-bit x360ce version of Super Meat Boy into the Super Meat Boy directory:
Still Doesn’t Work
If you are still unable to play after completing all of the above steps, please contact us. It is suggested that you attempt the steps below one by one.
Begin from the beginning, being sure to finish the optional/recommended parts (restarting after step 1, etc).
For non-Steam games, see the alternatives listed below (will work with Steam games also).
If none of the techniques work, the GameCube Controller Adapter may be the source of the issue. To check, try borrowing one from a friend.
The Most Common Problems
If you want to learn how to utilize the GameCube Controller on Steam, you’ll need to be aware of the most frequent difficulties and problems that other players have encountered. One of the most frequent complaints from customers is that certain sections of the game are too slow to respond. Other users discovered that they couldn’t utilize all of their controller’s capabilities.
The Gamecube itself was chastised because it had problems with steam games. It didn’t allow dual-screen gaming, and several players said they couldn’t see the other player in the game’s first-person perspective.
However, the firm has issued an upgraded version of the gadget that addresses the majority of the problems that have been identified. Dualshock was also chastised for having a slow reaction time. Although other manufacturers are releasing newer versions with dual screens and greater responsiveness, these two controllers are the only ones that function properly with the Gamecube itself.
How To Use A Gamecube Controller On Steam (Video Tutorial)
If you still can’t play games on Steam with your GameCube Controller after completing all of the steps in this “How to use GameCube Controller on Steam?” guide then Please leave a comment or send us an email if you have any questions. We’d love to assist you in making your gaming experience as stress-free as possible. Thank you so much, do share with those in need!