How does the IIT selection process take place
One of India’s most prominent engineering and technological education institutes, the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), has created a universally acclaimed education system for students who want to have a career in those fields. The institutes are globally recognised for their finest facilities and a fantastic set of professors who are known internationally. It is well known that students who graduate and get their degrees from IIT institutes have prominent positions throughout India and abroad. Students who graduate from the IITs are recognised for their professional accomplishments. When they seek a job overseas or attempt to get into a prominent university abroad, these students are always given priority.
Students who want to be a part of this internationally renowned institute must pass the JEE Main and JEE Advanced examinations held exclusively for admission into IIT institutes. These competitive examinations are regarded as one of the most difficult in India.
The Selection Process
To be further pushed into the selected category, aspirants must first compete in JEE Main. These chosen candidates must, after that, take the JEE Advanced exam. The outcomes of this exam will determine whether or not students will be eligible to enrol at IIT. These exams are conducted every year.
- Both the JEE Main and Advanced exams assess candidates’ competence in three subjects: mathematics, chemistry, and physics. Students must comprehend the significance of performing well in all three subjects to score and place among the top 2,50,000 applicants following their Mains.
- The JEE Main exam has a total of 75 questions. For each of the three subjects (mathematics, chemistry, and physics), there are 25 questions. Following the exam, results for JEE Main are shown in the form of a percentage, which is then converted into a ranking. Because this exam is not as demanding as the advanced, it is simpler to pass on the first attempt.
- Students who scored more than the majority in JEE Main are eligible to take JEE Advanced. Advanced is a relatively tricky exam to pass because it determines whether or not an applicant may be admitted to IIT. This test consists of two papers that are given on the same day. All three subjects are covered in both papers. This exam’s paper pattern is highly unpredictable.
- Students’ scores in their class 12 board examinations are given a lot of weight; thus, students must begin their studies early if they want to do well in the Mains and Advanced.
- Since the top 20% high scorers in class 12 board exams are prioritised during the selection process, students must score very high during their boards. Both the exams are time-sensitive and are held for over 3 hours each. Hence, candidates should also practise increasing their timing to answer each question with facts.
- Maths is the only subject in which students may get full marks. Thus, students must pay close attention to it among the other two subjects. A strong understanding of these subjects throughout the competitive test will ensure that students do not make foolish mistakes and remember how to answer all of the questions in detail.
Following specific tips and tricks such as solving important questions like IIT JEE Main Maths Important Questions to practise the mathematical syllabus for JEE Main will give the students an idea about the layout of the questions and check their knowledge regarding the subject.
Tips to crack JEE Main and Advanced
Choose the suitable study material
Students aspiring to participate in these competitive exams can start by learning their NCERT books for the three subjects line by line. Understanding all the important topics mentioned in the book and the correct step by step procedure to solve problems will be a good idea for these students. NCERT books are easy to understand and very well made with factual information. These books also have exercises and important questions at the end of every chapter, which can be solved during practice sessions—making notes while studying is also crucial.
Make a timetable
It’s critical to have a timetable that prioritises subjects and concepts that the student struggles with. This schedule should include everyday studying activities; having a program like this ensures that students do not miss any important concepts and study diligently. Anyone who wants to do well in their Mains should follow a strict timetable for studying various courses while also providing time to rest and regular breaks. In this sense, setting aside particular hours and dedicating them entirely to each topic offers several advantages.
For these students, the most important thing is to practise. Because all three subjects need a great deal of practice to master them, aspirants should train regularly. Both the JEE Main and Advanced tests, as is well known, are time-sensitive. When students practise, they should keep track of their time and attempt to improve their speed. This will allow them to manage their time throughout their examinations better. If aspirants wish to do well in the Mains, they must improve their accuracy. The objective should be to work on a step-by-step solution of a sum with precision in the time allotted.
Applicants must focus on the areas and topics that they find the most difficult. Students will learn the areas they are making mistakes in and which sums they still doubt after attempting to solve important questions and exercises. Students should seek answers to their doubts as quickly as feasible.
Solve previous year’ question papers
Taking mock tests and solving prior year’s question papers will prepare these students with what kind of questions can be asked in the JEE Main and Advanced. These question papers can be solved during the revision session. Students should never wait till the last minute to start preparing for the entrance exam as it can cause them to panic.
Even though JEE Main and JEE advanced exams are well known for their difficulty level and the high cut-off for entrance in the prestigious IIT institutes, a student who follows a proper study schedule diligently has high chances of scoring well in their exams. They improve their chances of passing JEE Mains by concentrating on the topics, understanding them well, and memorising all the important subjects’ formulas and ideas.