Who Are Big Data Engineers And What They Do?
Big Data – Big data is known as a combination of structured, unstructured, and semistructured data collected by organizations that can be mined for information and used in predictive modeling, machine learning projects, and other advanced analytics applications. Several big and small companies are using and processing big data to improve operations, create personalized marketing campaigns, provide better customer service, and take other meaningful steps that can increase profits and revenue.
Businesses that implement and use big data tools effectively hold a potential competitive advantage over those that do not use it, as they are able to make quicker and more informed business decisions. Big data is becoming crucial for every company that deals with massive datasets as it can provide valuable insights into customers that companies can use to improve their marketing, promotions, and advertising to increase customer engagement and conversion rates.
On the other side, the market of big data is also witnessing a positive and rapid growth of over USD 247 Billion at almost 18% CAGR from 2021 to 2025. Also, the big data market is expected to record healthy growth in the coming years. These market reports help organizations create strategies to make the most of future growth opportunities. It results in an increased demand for certified big data engineers. Therefore several candidates are looking for a suitable big data engineer courses to land a career in the big data market world.
Who Are Big Data Engineers?
Simply, Big Data Engineers are known as data professionals who can interact with massive data processing systems and databases in large-scale computing environments. They are information technology engineers who are responsible for designing, creating, preparing, and implementing data pipelines for analytical and operational uses. They play a vital role but are behind the scene in collecting data from various sources. They prepare these organized data for data scientists and analysts.
Big Data engineer jobs are one of the most sought-after and in-demand job roles. These engineers have years of experience and extraordinary technical knowledge. Big Data Hadoop in Riyadh engineers require a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, software engineering, or any similar IT degree. They also require a good understanding and deep knowledge of big data technology, good communication skills to convey ideas within a team and know how to deal with commercial IT infrastructures. They must also have expertise in parallel processing databases and scripting programming languages.
Knowledge and Skills Required- Besides theoretical and educational knowledge, Big data engineers require some of the extra knowledge and soft skills to become successful professionals in the big data field.
- Big data technology knowledge in MapReduce, Hadoop, and Streaming
- Good understanding of NoSQL solutions as well as HIVE, Cassandra, HBase, and CouchDB
- Good working expertise in OLAP technologies, Analytics, and more
- Working access to commercial platforms in big data technologies like Oracle and IBM.
- It is also a must to have experience in agile development methodologies.
- Soft skills like sound communication skills, both verbal and written, are essential while dealing with other teams and engineers.
- Big data engineers also require multitasking working ability that too with no supervision to deal with several issues at the same time.
What Do Big Data Engineers Do?
After knowing about Big data engineers, it’s time to know about the job role and responsibilities they commonly fulfill in any organization to achieve their goals. Big data engineers interact with massive databases and data processing systems in large-scale computing environments. They sort out data issues by sweeping data to get relevant sets for analysis that can predict behavior later. These engineers provide data analysis that helps organizations assess their performances, predict upcoming market trends and changes, and identify market demographics.
Big data engineers do many different tasks using methodologies and skills drawn from many sources. Following are some of the crucial tasks that big data engineers do.
- Big data engineers work with IT teams and data architects on formulating project goals.
- They create highly scalable data management systems from the design phase to the completion of the process.
- They manage the collection, processing, and storing of data from different sources.
- They assemble complex and large datasets that meet business requirements.
- They build data sets that can be used for data mining, modeling, and production.
- They also optimize data delivery and redesign infrastructure for better scalability.
- They find and analyze patterns in datasets.
- They transform large amounts of data into formats that can be processed.
- Big data engineers design top-grade algorithms, prototypes, and predictive models.
- They build and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Big data engineers identify, design, create and implement internal process improvements.
- They develop many kinds of software and custom analytics applications.
- They also ensure that the data systems meet specific requirements.
- They are also responsible for disaster recovery preparation.
- They improve data quality, efficiency, and reliability.
- They also perform other tasks such as writing scripts, calling APIs, web scraping, writing SQL queries, etc., which are as crucial as other tasks.
- They also look for data acquisition opportunities and new uses for existing data and tools.
Big data engineers make data pipelines that transform raw unstructured data into formats data scientists can use for analysis. They also create and maintain the analytics infrastructure that enables other data functions. The job role of a big data engineer requires special technical skills that involve multiple programming languages of AWS and SQL technologies. These skills can help build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources.
A Big Data engineer’s role is important in managing and handling data tools and systems. It also includes utilizing the available data and technologies to build a data landscape for data scientists. These engineers are also responsible for data integration into central analysis infrastructure and determining the suitable and best technologies for this.
So being a Big Data Engineer is not an easy job but is a complex and challenging role that is full of various responsibilities. This job role is full of opportunities and growth. Join this big data community and find your niche in this evolving data world.