As you are reading this blog, you are probably watching a funny dog video that just appeared on your Instagram feed. That’s VoD. People are consuming VoD content every minute, unaware of the fact that it’s VoD.
It’s incredible to know that the demand for video is on the rise and content creators, and broadcasters are now faced with infinite opportunities to thrive in this evolving industry. Ready to get onboard the VoD ride? This blog will give you an in-depth idea of what VoD is and how it works.
What is VOD (Video on Demand)?
VoD or video-on-demand is a way of consuming video that is chosen by the viewers from a repository or content library at any time, anywhere, and on any device, according to their preferences. Simply put, it is click-to-play video content that can be watched without the constraints of a broadcasting schedule. VoD platform highlights the concept of watching videos based on the demands of the user as opposed to watching scheduled content on linear TV.
Example: Streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu are examples of a few top players in the VOD platform space.
VoD has many advantages. It allows users to
- Watch content at any time – be it while traveling, running, cooking, or doing daily chores
- Watch whatever content they want – as opposed to consuming content on TV which is already scheduled and you have to watch whichever show is being broadcasted at that given point in time. This gives complete control on the hands of the viewer.
- Control watching patterns through media controls – viewers can, pause, play, rewind, fast forward, and have complete control of how they are watching content
Why Is Video On Demand Important?
VoD or video on demand is important because it gives you total control to watch whichever content you want according to your mood and preference on whichever device. This is opposed to watching pre-scheduled content on TV that is decided earlier by traditional TV providers in both cases of cable & satellite.
Here are some trends in VOD streaming:
- Websites with video content retain viewers for longer periods of time
- As opposed to static content, video content is more effective at delivering a brand’s message
- Half of the internet users watch product videos before shopping for it in-person
- Internet users consume an average of 18 hours of online video each week
Did you Know – According to Statista, by 2025, VOD user penetration is projected to reach 29% with a revenue of 126.5M USD i.e a CAGR of 15%.
VoD vs. OTT: What is the Difference?
‘Is VoD the same as OTT?’ is one question that people often ask. Well, OTT or Over the Top is how media content is delivered, that is, via the internet without the intervention of traditional cable or satellite services. VoD, on the other hand, is just a part of OTT- it is how the content is consumed by viewers. Any content that starts when you push the play button is VoD. For example, Netflix, YouTube, and Facebook Watch fall into the VoD category.
Both VoD and live streaming are a part of the OTT delivery model because to watch such kind of content one just has to have access to the internet instead of relying on traditional services like cable TV or satellite. So, while OTT refers to the content distribution model, VoD stands for the content consumption model.
How does VoD Work?
Here’s a short snapshot of how video-on-demand content works-
- The video file is first compressed into a digital format to enable transmission over the internet
- The video file is then transcoded into a readable format and stored in the VoD platform servers
- The video asset is packaged into a video container that holds important information such as metadata, subtitles, and thumbnails
- When there is a playback request from the user, the video is compressed and transmitted over the internet via a content delivery network (CDN)
- After the video is received by the video player, it is decompressed and decoded into viewable content by the user
VoD truly enables a better user experience for customers making content accessible anywhere and on any device, and has emerged as a ‘can have’ to a ‘must-have’ feature for a wide range of industries and use cases.
Are you ready to explore Muvi’s user-friendly and feature-rich VoD platform? Check it out yourself by taking a 14-day Free trial!