How to Customize a SharePoint Form with PowerApps?
It is seamless to customize forms with the help of the right tools and techniques. But what if you are not aware of the benefits of certain tools? Have you explored all the necessary features?
Thanks to Microsoft, the SharePoint forms will save you the time required to collect information from users effectively. Once you begin exploring the Microsoft PowerApps, you might be able to provide full-fledged customized forms without any coding.
They are known as forms that integrate data in the SharePoint forms from external resources like Office 365, Microsoft Dynamics, and Microsoft Azure. Custom forms will save time and reduce the chances of errors.
SharePoint and PowerApps are integrated seamlessly with the help of user permissions. You also get access to connections with other data sources, conditional formatting, analytics reports, and more.
What are PowerApps?
It is a service in Microsoft Office 365 that enables the creation of rich and advanced without using any coding. It gives you the capability to customize SharePoint online forms to gather all the information accurately.
You can find the PowerApps in the menu on each SharePoint list page. It allows users to create a standalone application that helps connect with a data source. Users can use it from the mobile applications, web portal, or SharePoint site. PowerApps are also used to customize forms in the SharePoint list to match the specific requirements.
PowerApps is an independent feature of SharePoint, but it is tightly integrated with Office 365. It is designed to work with numerous databases that are easily connected with SharePoint forms, OneDrive or library. You can retrieve or store the information without knowing coding or databases.
What is the different type of PowerApps forms available?
- Main: This is used in Dynamics 365 for Tablets and Outlook model-driven apps. These forms provide the main user interface for interacting and viewing the table data.
- Quick Create: It is accessed for updated tables as they provide a basic form that is used to optimize for building new records.
- Quick View: This SharePoint form appears with the main form to display the additional data referenced with a lookup column. Users can view data from the relevant tables without leaving the form.
- Card: This form is designed to present information in a compact format accessible for mobile devices.
- To build a custom form in PowerApps from SharePoint, choose to Integrate > PowerApps > Customize forms.
- A dialog box will appear. You click on the Skip button
- The PowerApps Custom list form will open with all the SharePoint fields added in the custom form.
- Also, you will be able to view all the properties and some advanced properties on the right side of the page.
- The Power Apps custom list form is ready.
You can customize or design the form as per your requirements. SharePoint gives you the freedom to format the text, orientation, add rules, font size, data validations, inserting images, icons, views, or charts.
- Suppose you plan to change the SharePoint form templates of the PowerApps list custom form. You need to update the Layout property.
- There are two types of layouts available in forms which are vertical and horizontal. The form layout is vertical by default.
- To update the form layout, choose the custom form, Go to Properties Pane and choose the Layout as Vertical or Horizontal as you need.
Building business solutions using the PowerApps in SharePoint means empowering the online sites. Some tips that might help to build PowerApps forms successfully:
- PowerApps with managed metadata fields: The PowerApps did not provide complicated fields in SharePoint forms for a long time, but now it has. Manage Metadata fields are the widely used, versatile, and complex SharePoint fields. The apps support single and multiple-choice managed metadata.
- Lookup filtering and field: The values are filed from the SharePoint list instead of static term store values. It allows the user to have the list of items and edit them if needed with the help of various filters.
- Set right permissions: It is vital to use PowerApps in SharePoint to add great features and functionalities. Everyone using the site is an owner or member of the site, and you can edit the permissions whenever required. This ensures that only specific users can add or modify the form.
1. Change Background colour
You can easily fill the colours, and there are PowerApps themes that can be used to enhance the look and feel of the app. You can give a professional look to the form with just a couple of clicks. Choose the theme and choose from the theme collection.
2. Font Style
Choose the label and apply the colour to the text. Ensure that it will increase the visibility and readability of your fonts.
3. Layout Changes
Click snap to the columns under the data section and set the value to 2. This will provide a two-level column layout looks in your SharePoint online forms.
4. Add images in the form
If you decide to add images in the form, Go to Media > Image. Then click on Add an image file.
Once you have completed the editing, you need to make it visible to the users. Click on File > Save and then publish to SharePoint.
We hope you have understood the process of empowering the SharePoint Forms with the help of PowerApps. They have proven to be an effective service run across multiple platforms.