HERE’S A GUIDE TO HELP YOU CHOOSE BETWEEN MARKET AND CANTILEVER UMBRELLAS
The Australian summers are here. And you are probably planning on buying an outdoor umbrella that could give you the perfect shade solution for both residential and commercial purposes. These umbrellas can shield you from all kinds of weather elements — both rain and shine — and you can also use them to enhance the look and feel of your outdoor space.
However, it could prove to be a tricky task in choosing the best commercial outdoor umbrella. Luckily, we are here to help you. While there are plenty of options available in the market, the two most popular umbrellas are cantilever umbrellas and commercial market umbrellas or patio umbrellas.
In this blog, we will tell you about the difference between the two so that you can make an informed decision when purchasing the best cantilever umbrella in Australia.
Commercial market umbrellas
As the name suggests, commercial market umbrellas were meant to be used at marketplaces traditionally. The idea was to protect vendors — the ones with farm stands or food carts — and their customers, and their goods from the sun, rain, or even snow. So it was important that the heavy duty commercial umbrellas were built of materials that could resist wind and other harsh weather elements. Because they were temporary shade solutions, they also needed to be lightweight so that people could carry them around comfortably.
Even though commercial market umbrellas have evolved over time, the basic features have remained the same. We delve into the nitty-gritties of these umbrellas so that you understand their functions in a better way:
- Stabilisation system: The base of a commercial outdoor umbrella ensures that the device stands firmly on the ground. You can also add more weights like sandbags or metal plates to secure your umbrella.
- Size and shape: Market umbrellas tend to be quite bigger because they are used not only to shelter traders but also to protect their goods and items, especially perishable ones. They mainly come in octagonal shapes but rectangular or square-shaped umbrellas are also available.
- Frame: Earlier, the frame of the umbrellas was typically made of wood. But wood would snap easily in strong winds. So, the manufacturers looked for other alternatives. These days, frames are generally made of aluminium, steel, or fiberglass which gives more stability to the umbrellas.
- Design: The design of the umbrella is such that the pole runs through the centre of a fabric shade. At times, the heavy duty commercial umbrellas were also made in such a way that they could slip through a hole in the farm stands or food carts for more stabilisation.
Cantilever umbrellas in Australia come with a strong support base that makes them stand stable on the side. Unlike a commercial market umbrella, the pole of a cantilever umbrella is on the side of the umbrella and not in the centre. So the umbrella beam holds the canopy on one end and supports it from the other.
This is an ideal umbrella for commercial establishments like cafés and restaurants because it can shade a big table. The umbrella also ensures a larger movement area as it offers a lot of free space below the canopy.
- Tilt and rotate mechanism: The sun keeps changing its position in the sky. But the tilt and rotate function enables you to adjust the umbrella in such a way that the sun’s rays and heat don’t bother you so much. Such is the functionality that the umbrellas can be raised or lowered and tilted to permit movement from left to right, forward and backward, or even a full 360-degree rotation. That’s why cantilever umbrellas are so highly-sought in windy areas.
- Frame: The frames of these umbrellas are typically made of malleable metal like aluminium and steel. Fibreglass frames are also in vogue these days.
- Convenient set-up: The umbrellas can be placed on the ground as well as wall-mounted. With these umbrellas, you won’t have to drill a hole in your table or upset the flooring by digging your patio.
- Shape and size: You can choose the size and shape of your umbrella depending on your outdoor space. They are available in many different shapes to suit your needs and taste, including square, rectangular, octagonal, or round.
- Aesthetic appeal: Cantilever umbrellas are incredibly versatile and stylish. Their unique design adds an aesthetic appeal to your outdoor space. That’s why it is common to see these umbrellas installed in amusement parks, water parks and playgrounds apart from other commercial locations.
Now that you distinctly understand the difference between a commercial market umbrella and a cantilever umbrella, we hope you would be able to make an educated choice about what to look for when you want to buy an umbrella.
We will leave you with some advice though. Whichever umbrella you opt to buy, you must never compromise on quality. A top-quality product will not only be durable and long-lasting but also be worth your investment.