Are Home Paternity Tests Admissible In Court?
Suppose you’re thinking about getting a Best paternity testing Grand Prairie TX soon. In that case, it’s critical to understand the distinctions between a legal and a home paternity test before making this crucial investment. There are some significant differences—here’s a quick rundown.
Paternity test results are acceptable in court.
As a leading Court Admissible Paternity Test Grand Prairie TX laboratory, we frequently hear from clients who have completed a home paternity test and wish to use the results for child support or custody. They can’t, though! A court will not accept a home paternity test in the United States.
A legal paternity test might aid child support.
The findings of legal paternity tests are acceptable in court and can be utilized in the circumstances involving:
- Child assistance
- Custody of children
- Right to inherit
- Social safety net
- And more
The Method of DNA Collection is Unique
For a paternity test at home, follow these steps:
- The DNA collection kit is available at partnering shops or online.
- You send the DNA samples to the lab by mail.
- If you test with special laboratories, your results will be available in one (1) business day.
Taking samples for paternity tests
For a legal paternity test, collect DNA as follows:
- You may request the test by calling the lab directly or ordering it online.
- The customer-service representative schedules the test participants at a nearby authorized DNA collection location.
- The DNA Sample Collector validates the test participants’ identities, which are then included in the paternity-test report, making the results admissible in court.
- The Collector either observes participants swabbing their cheeks or, if necessary, assists them.
- The Collector fills out the necessary documentation, bundles DNA samples, and sends them to the lab.
- Once the materials are received at the lab and testing begins, a home paternity test method is identical to a formal paternity test.
There are no further pricing variations between legal and home paternity testing aside from the collecting charge for court-admissible testing.
The Legally Acceptable Criteria
Whether submitting a paternity test or a DNA test for another legal concern, the person can only offer a legally acceptable test. If sent through the mail, a person’s DNA kits might be exposed to extraneous influences or sources. Furthermore, several types of kits are accessible, which may render the test itself inadmissible in court. According to established practice, if the court’s interest is in child custody, the test must be acceptable and in the proper chain of possession. The test is frequently invalid if the formal requirements are not followed.
The court’s requirements must stay in place for a legally acceptable test to be admitted in a case. The court will require a legitimate collection of several parties and a specified proportion of error for a paternity test to be reliable. Any mistake rate more significant than the standard and the test’s admissibility is typically ruled out. Other elements, though, are as substantial. Each person’s identity is critical, as is the completed test being in the proper custody for the period of the test’s importance to the courts.
Expertise and Testing
Some court-admissible paternity test findings necessitate the use of an expert who can examine the DNA and report the results to the courts. In some cases, the associated professional may be required to explain DNA markers or provide further information regarding the verified results. If the DNA kit is an at-home system, this is not feasible. The expert generally requires the findings of the exam. The equipment would be useless in court if there were no access to it and no strict adherence to all procedures.
Final Thoughts on a Legal Paternity Test vs. a Paternity Test at Home
Even if you don’t think you’ll ever need to go to court, it’s worth it to spend a little extra for a legal test just in case. Regardless of whatever DNA clinics Grand Prairie TX is best for you, choose the lab that will execute this potentially life-changing service carefully—a reputation for excellence and accuracy in findings is more essential than a low price.